|Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Prosciutto|
Hello my beloved readers!! Happy Tasty Tuesday! I have a yummy sandwich for you today; I hope you enjoy it. It was inspired by a Self.com sandwich recipe that I read while laying on a float at my in-laws' pool. Yes, it was definitely a good weekend.
Keep reading after the jump for the recipe.
The inspiration for this recipe was baked but I preferred using my panini/sandwich press if only because of the grill marks. I also cut a little bit of the oil out of the recipe.
And without further ado...
Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Prosciutto (Adapted from Self Magazine)
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup of shredded lowfat cheddar or American cheese
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 1/8 can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tomato chopped
1. Pour 1/2 Tbsp EVOO in a small skillet and begin heating onion and garlic. Add tomato and simmer for a few minutes.
2. Pour 1 Tbsp EVOO into panini press and place two slices of bread in with cheese and include one slice of prosciutto on each side; heat until cheese is melted.
3. Remove finished slices and add tomato mixture then assemble. Repeat steps 2-3 with other slices.
4. Cut sandwiches in half.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Serving suggestion: for an even lighter meal serve half sandwich with a large salad.