Sunday, January 13, 2013
So Happy New Year all! I love starting a New Year - there is just something so hopeful and promising about starting new and fresh. New habits. Fresh foods.
I made good use of my blender in chopping pretty much everything that needed chopping (I started chopping the kale by hand but then changed my mind). I did not know if my hubby would like this salad but he did! Hubby Approved. I really liked it too - it was fresh and also filling. A great balance. I didn't use the shallot because I forgot to buy one). The recipe says to dress the salad a day ahead.
Kale Salad (slightly adapted from Self December 2012, Kale Salad with Dates Parmesan and Almonds)
-1 tsp honey
-1/4 tsp red pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
- lemon juice (from 1/4 lemon)
-1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-(1 shallot, chopped (optional)
-1 bunch kale, cleaned and chopped (stems torn)
-1/5 cup of almonds, chopped
-3 dates pitted and chopped.
- 3 tsp shredded Parmesan cheese (or shaved Parmesan cheese)
1. Mix together honey, red pepper, lemon juice, salt, oil (and shallot if applicable) in a small bowl.
2. Mix chopped items (kale, almonds, dates) to a larger bowl.
3. Add contents of small bowl to larger bowl mix and toss well.
4. Give the dressing a bit of time to soften up the kale. (I waited about half an hour but the original recipe did suggest a day ahead).