Ever since my husband bought me Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: 250 Incredibly Flavorful 5-Ingredient 15-Minute Recipes, I have been dying to try making orange beef. I love orange flavored foods and have wanted to doing something different and healthy with beef. I LOVED it (and my husband ate it all even though he doesn't normally like orange chicken/beef). I served it with jasmine rice. I adapted this recipe based on what I had on hand (and I always use meat tenderizer on steak and season everything with Adobo).
- one to two heads of fresh broccoli (to be steamed in steamer basket)
-1/3 cup beef broth
-1/3 cup of low-sugar or sugar-free orange marmalade (I used a sugarfree one made with agave)
-2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
-1/4 tsp salt (omitted the salt because I didn't use less sodium broth)
-2 Tbsp cornstarch
*Adobo seasoning (added)
*Meat tenderizer (added)
-1 pound flank steak, trimmed and cut into thin slices (used 1/2 flank and 1/2 filet mignon)
*EVOO (extra virgin olive oil
1. Microwave broccoli (note: I use a plastic steamer basket to microwave my fresh broccoli for this and other recipes).
2. While broccoli cooks, combine broth and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
3. Place cornstarch in a shallow dish. Season steak with Adobo seasoning and meat tenderizer, then dredge in cornstarch.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Then, coat with cooking spray (far away from the stove since the spray is flammable)(I also put about a half a Tbsp of EVOO to the pan).
5. Add steak and saute for five minutes or until browned on all sides.
6. Add broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thick.
7.Stir in broccoli.
8. Serve immediately.
*Just a quick note, I shared this recipe with my mom and she used the same basic methodology to make orange chicken. My dad told me it was delicious so I'm definitely going to try it that way.