She found it on Simply Recipes, where it had been adapted from a recipe she found in Everyday Food magazine.
- 1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium sized), grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 scallions (green onions), finely chopped
-1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Directions:1. Salt the zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Try to remove the excess moisture from the zucchini by squeezing with paper towels. (The original recipe calls for putting the zucchini in a colander set in the sink to let it drain for 10 minutes after salting it. A potato rice is also an option if you have one)
2. Whisk egg in a large bowl; add the zucchini, flour, scallions, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine well.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2 Tbsp each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Serve immediately.