This recipe was inspired by/semi-adapted from Prevention RD's recipe for buffalo chicken tacos found here, originally loosely adapted from How Sweet It Is I love reading Nicole's blog because I know her recipes are healthy and nutritious and I've been dying to make those tacos. However, since my husband bought a nonfat blue cheese dressing, I decided to use that instead this time and make tacos later. My husband loves this recipe and asks me to make it every week or two.
For the Chicken:
-1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-3 Tbsp cornstarch
-1/3 cup flour
-1 tsp garlic powder
-A few pinches of Adobo seasoning (*my favorite secret ingredient)
ground black pepper, to taste
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1/4 cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of water, optional
- 1 Tbsp of melted smart balance, optional
For the Salad:
Salad Mix or Lettuce
2 Tbsp Blue Cheese (crumbled)
1/2 a large tomato (diced)
Fat free blue cheese salad dressing, approximately 2 Tbsp each, or to taste (we used Wishbone's fat free chunky blue cheese, which is very low calorie; we don't normally eat it but it's okay with this particular dish).
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, and garlic
powder. Season the chicken pieces with Adobo seasoning and pepper, then dredge in the flour
3. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and once it gets hot,
add chicken and brown on both sides – about 3-4 minutes per side (consult a food thermometer if desired).
4. While the chicken is cooking, assemble plates with salad, blue cheese crumbles, and diced tomato (if you haven't diced or crumbled, now is a good time to do it).
5. When the chicken is done, set it aside in a bowl.
6. Mix Buffalo Wing Sauce, butter, and water in a small bowl and heat for 30 seconds to a minute in the microwave. Test that the sauce has the appropriate level of spice for your liking (if not adjust accordingly).
7. Toss chicken in the sauce mixture.
8. Cut chicken into pieces if you have not done so and place it in the salad.
Add the blue cheese dressing.
1. I also made this as a taco with the main difference being that I fried up some onions and chopped the tomatoes more. I heated up the taco shells in the oven for a few minutes and stuffed them - delicious!
2. I have also used this recipe to make sandwiches.
3. Another unrelated buffalo option is buffalo turkey burgers, just prepare as usual then add buffalo sauce and blue cheese to your burger.